Friday 9 September 2011

Week 1- Twitter and the Social Media

This weeks lecture was about Twitter and the social media. My Entrepreneur idea was to make a fashion blog. There was already lots of fashion blogs online, but I've realized that every blogger has there own style and way of expressing themselves, so mine would be unique while also just a drop in the bucket. My blog would consist of pictures of outfits that I saw and wore that I felt were inspirational. Also I would give brief fashion/art history lessons on fashion icons whom I feel are influential and the history behind modern trends.

But, back to twitter and the social media. I was fascinated by the video we watched in class about the social media revolution. It's crazy to see how big of an impact the social media has in one 3 minute clip. Therefore, I think it would be impossible to reach the potential in your company without being involved on the social media. Ideas can spread so fast on the internet or just through a twitter post or a status update on Facebook. I've used twitter before, but I was unaware of all the cool things you can do there. For my business I could take pictures of my product,in this case outfits, and post a 'teaser' as a twit pic. The possibilities are endless!

But also I think there is a dark side to the social media, that we didn't discuss in class. As big as the internet is it can also be very small. There can also be a false sense of popularity online. For example on Facebook, you could have lots of people who 'like' your business idea, but none of them are willing to spend time to help you with projects or deadlines. And there's a difference between people following you on twitter versus who actually care about your business. Regardless, the social media opens more doors for your business.

3 comments:

  1. As long as you are providing relevant content that is useful to a demographic, then you don't need to worry as much about being a drop in the bucket as you describe. You make a great point about the dark side of social media. I feel like if you go by traditional measurements in social media such as number of followers and number of likes, you will get a very misleading number. With social media you have to look at engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea. I love looking and reading other peoples blogs about what inspires their outfits. I love fashion but am not as creative as I wish I was. Mainly my fashion inspiration comes from others. This is an amazing idea, maybe add something different that would separate your blog from the normal fashion blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great idea having a fashion blog is really interesting and you are going to bring out your personal experience and history of product which will make you blogs in my opinion better than the rest.

    ReplyDelete